A tea picker wearing a brilliant and vibrant sari turns and waves at you. Abruptly, you hear the deep laughter of close by kids and the light chatter of passengers. Your nostrils then choose up the scent of scrumptious deep-fried lentil snacks and candy tea.
The Ella to Kandy practice gently rocks because it rounds a bend, the comforting sound lulling you into a contented silence.
The truth is that Sri Lanka’s Ella to Kandy practice trip would possibly simply be one of many world’s biggest railway journeys! And it’s an expertise that defiantly awaits you…
On this journey tip, we’ll share:
• One of the best time to go to Sri Lanka
• How you can get to Ella
• One of the best issues to do in Ella
• How you can get tickets for the Ella to Kandy practice
• One of the best issues to see on the Ella to Kandy practice
When is one of the best time to go to Sri Lanka?
In case you are planning a visit to Sri Lanka, an important factor to think about is the timing of the 2 main monsoons, plus the inter-monsoonal interval between:
- Yala monsoon: April-September rains within the west/southwest coasts and the hill nation (together with Ella).
- Maha monsoon: November-March rains on the east coast.
- Inter-monsoonal: October/November heavy rainfall and thunderstorms can happen anyplace throughout the island.
So, for journeys to the west/south coasts and importantly, this Ella to Kandy practice journey beginning within the hill nation, one of the best time to go to is unquestionably by the months of April, October and November.
What’s extra, by travelling within the shoulder and low seasons, you’ll be doing a fantastic service to the locals as you’ll assist unfold the impression of vacationers and travellers on native locations.
Eager on discovering out extra? Try our itinerary for 8 days in Sri Lanka.
How you can get to Sri Lanka?
Sri Lanka is an island that’s situated in the midst of the Indian Ocean. So, the one viable approach to get to Sri Lanka is by aircraft!
You’ll land at Bandaranaike Worldwide Airport, about 30km north of the capital Colombo. Be prepared for a gradual journey into Colombo metropolis centre which might take over an hour. There’s a ton of congestion and travellers on this space, so ensure that to maintain that in thoughts!
Seek for flights to Sri Lanka here.
How you can get to Ella?
The beautifully-named city of Ella or ‘waterfall’ is located about 200km east of Columbo within the district of Badulla. Surrounded by misty inexperienced hills, verdant tea plantations and placing waterfalls, Ella is simply over 1000m above sea stage, and has a considerably cooler local weather than the lowlands.
Ella is the truth is, one in all Sri Lanka’s finest locations to calm down and luxuriate in nature.
Now, in the case of travelling to Ella Sri Lanka, this picturesque location will be reached by highway (bus, non-public automobile/van with driver, shared taxi/minibus) from quite a few areas. You can even get the practice from Colombo through Kandy if you wish to do that Sri Lanka practice journey in reverse, however this can be a lengthy day’s practice journey.
- Colombo – Ella: approx 5 hours by highway; 327 km
- Galle/Mirissa – Ella: 3.5 hours by highway; 200 km
- Uda Walawe Nationwide Park – Ella: 2 hours by highway; 100 km
- Batticloa – Ella: 4.5 hours by highway; 176km
- Colombo – Ella by public bus: c. 9 hours; take the bus heading to Badulla and get off at Kumbalwela junction. From right here, it’s a brief tuk-tuk or native bus trip to Ella.
- Uda Walawe – Ella by public bus: c. 3 hours. Take a bus from Uda Walawe to Thanamalwila then change for the bus to Ella. Some ready time; ask for assist to seek out the appropriate bus.
Greatest issues to do in Ella
There are many nice issues to do in and round Ella Sri Lanka, so that is only a taster of what’s to return in case you spend just a few days on this beautiful spot.
• Stroll to Ella Rock for views of Ella Hole and beautiful countryside (3-4 hours spherical journey).
• Take images galore on the iconic 9 Arch Bridge, an engineering feat to not be missed.
• Stroll as much as Little Adam’s Peak for views of Ella Rock and Ella Hole (2 hours spherical journey).
• Learn to cook Sri Lankan-style in one of many native cooking colleges.
• Try thundering Rawana Falls simply out of city by tuk-tuk on the highway to Wellawaya.
The place to remain in Ella?
Two respectable mid-range choices embrace The Chillout, located at first of the path to Little Adam’s Peak, only a brief stroll from the centre of Ella. Comfortable rooms, a tasty breakfast and a big balcony for these views.
Even nearer to the trailhead is the well-kept Ella Flower Garden Resort, with a variety of well-appointed rooms and chalets to select from with TV and terrace. Pretty gardens, nice views and an on-site restaurant.
If you wish to splash the money and keep within the midst of neatly spaced tea bushes, you might strive the 98 Acres Resort. You get fashionable luxurious rooms with swimming pool and in home spa plus fabulous views so that you can get pleasure from over your breakfast.
The place to eat in Ella?
One of many many perks of visiting Ella is the truth that it has quite a few good locations to eat and drink. Certainly, you might say that is the closest you’ll get to a little bit of (light) nightlife too!
We significantly favored Adam’s Breeze, a down-to-earth, pleasant place on the highway to the path to Little Adam’s Peak. We extremely suggest that you just strive the Kotthu Roti, curries and juices.
One of many nicest choices on the principle drag is unquestionably the Cafe Chill, which does every little thing from espresso to tasty native and Western dishes to a refreshingly chilly beer within the night.
A lot of individuals eat at their visitor home or homestay, which is a superb possibility for genuine Sri Lankan meals. Allow them to know upfront if you wish to eat.
How you can get tickets for the Ella to Kandy practice?
There are a number of choices for securing your practice tickets in Sri Lanka and it is determined by how mounted your itinerary is and the way relaxed you might be about having a selected seat.
In the event you prefer to ebook forward, one of many best methods to safe your most popular seat and sophistication of carriage is to ebook with 12goAsia and choose up your tickets whenever you arrive in Colombo. You possibly can solely ebook tickets for 37 days or extra upfront through this route.
In case you are pleased to decide whenever you arrive, you should buy tickets from any Sri Lankan practice station as much as 30 days earlier than you journey, both in Colombo or one other principal station like Galle.
In case you are completely relaxed, you possibly can take your likelihood a lot nearer to the time, both the day you arrive in Ella and even the day of departure. The first and 2nd class will most definitely have offered out, however you should buy a 3rd class ticket (both reserved if attainable, or unreserved that are uncapped) and take your possibilities.
Which practice class ought to I journey when in Sri Lanka?
We suggest journey in 2nd class reserved seats. We purchased the tickets on arrival in Colombo a few week forward, met native households travelling in 2nd class, had entry to coach distributors for snacks and didn’t have to face, which meant we might benefit from the surroundings and calm down!
What are the practice instances for the Ella to Kandy practice?
The primary practice within the morning from Ella leaves at 6.40am and arrives in Kandy simply after 1pm. You could possibly go for this selection in case you’re late to purchase tickets and/or eager to see essentially the most scenic a part of the route within the early morning. Simply beware the morning mist and fog, which could imply you don’t see what you have been hoping for.
We’d suggest the second departure at 9.24am, arriving in Kandy simply earlier than 4pm. The sunshine was nice throughout essentially the most scenic part of the route from Ella by to Haputale and on to Nanu-Oya. There have been loads of meals distributors on the practice for a lunchtime snack and we arrived in Kandy at an ideal afternoon time to verify in and get our bearings earlier than solar set.
You possibly can verify extra practice instances and choices on the Sri Lankan Railways web site.
What to search for on the Ella to Kandy practice journey
There are round 20 stops in whole between Ella and Kandy, however relying in your practice, you received’t name at each cease. A full route map will be discovered right here. You’ll both be on a blue or purple practice relying on the service you are taking. The journey ought to take round 7 hours barring any mechanical points.
- Ella to Haputale | The primary part from Ella by to Haputale is especially attractive, as you slowly transfer alongside the slender ridge and thru the misty hills and velvet blanket of inexperienced forest. Look out for landmarks like Ella Rock and the native waterfalls.
- Haputale to Nanu-Oya | From Haputale, you begin to transfer into full-on tea plantation nation. Maintain your eyes peeled for tea factories and villages as you roll as much as Nanu–Oya, the cease for famed Nuwara Eliya, the retreat for the colonial tea growers. Rolling tea meadows, well-tended gardens and an air of colonial grandeur abound. You’ll additionally see numerous the tea pickers of their vibrant saris, working exhausting to get one of the best leaves
- Nanu-Oya to Hatton | The practice then leisurely makes its approach in the direction of the tea capital of Hatton, traversing the beautiful Horton’s Plains (near the cease of Ohiya) on the best way. Maintain a watch out for Adam’s Peak amongst the views of untamed grasslands, waterfalls and lakes.
- Hatton to Kandy | The part from Hatton to Kandy has fewer sights, however the views of misty inexperienced hill nation stay dreamily fairly till you attain the outskirts of Kandy, when the buildings come into sight and also you rejoin bustling Sri Lankan life at its most interesting.
Prime ideas for the Ella to Kandy practice journey
• Be sure you’re in the appropriate spot in your carriage class on the station earlier than the practice goes (simply ask the station grasp) and don’t be too well mannered when the practice arrives, particularly in case you’re in third class. Be agency and assured and snag your seats.
• Deliver your individual dry snacks and water to be sure to can graze for the size of the journey, particularly the early levels in case you didn’t handle to seize breakfast!
• Don’t be afraid to check out the road meals offered on the practice by skilled hawkers, equivalent to scrumptious fried dhal balls or vadai (deep fried doughnut-shaped snacks), nuts and fruit.
• Keep in mind to goal to sit down on the left of the practice coming from Ella and on the appropriate in case you’re beginning your journey in Kandy. It’s additionally finest to get your compulsory picture from the open door early on, because it will get a lot busier when you get in the direction of Nanuoya.
• Benefit from the alternative to take as many photographs as you need, however don’t miss out on the expertise of being on the practice and having fun with the views for the pure pleasure of it!
• Retailer your backpacks and small baggage within the overhead racks in case you can. In case you have bigger circumstances, goal to get them in behind the final row if seats or tucked into the doorway.
• Be prepared for the bogs. They’re high quality, however they are going to be squat bogs and also you’ll want your individual bathroom paper and trusty hand sanitiser!
• Respect the locals: Take the possibility to work together with native households and people travelling on the practice, however be respectful. If you wish to take somebody’s picture, ask politely and present them the outcomes.
Time to Journey Higher
To complete, shut your eyes as soon as extra. Drop your shoulders. Breathe. Pause. Replicate. It’s time to decelerate. To re-think journey. To journey higher. What higher place to begin than Sri Lanka’s Ella to Kandy practice trip – one of many biggest railway journeys on the earth.
Go to We are the UnderTourists to pledge your dedication to journey higher.
Listed here are just a few extra Sri Lanka journey ideas: